Weizenbock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartycornfed

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and relatively new to the game of homebrewing. I'm putting together a Weizenbock and wanted some feedback if at all possible.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 27.27 %
1.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9.09 %
6.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 54.55 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

My questions: What difference could I expect if I used all Wheat LME as opposed to the amber and light DME? How does my hop usage stack up? Any other suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks

most wheat extract is actually a mix of wheat and malt already. with the weizenbock i brewed a few months ago, i just used a pound or two of DME to boost the gravity a bit. looking at your grains, i might recomend a bit of chocolate malt too, which i believe is appropriate for the style. one suggestion i could give you for brewing a weizenbock is to try and keep the fermentation temperatures on the lower end for a cleaner profile. If i were to brew mine again, thats what i would do. good luck, keep us posted how it turns out!

bperlmu's right, wheat extract is actually a mix of wheat and barley malt extracts, already in the proportions recommended for wheat beers ( I think ~60% wheat/40% barley).

After my buddies and I brewed our first wheat (using all wheat LME and DME), we brewed a sort-of wheat beer with some left over wheat dme and regular barley dme. The beer came out much, MUCH clearer and lighter- not neccessarily a bad thing, but if you're after a nice cloudy, rich weizen flavor, not what you're shooting for.

And +1 for keeping the temps during fermentation on the lower end. Any wheat we've fermented during summerwinds up with an INTENSE banana flavor- which is again OK if that's what you're after, but when you're looking for the clovier side of weizens, the temp has got to be on the cooler side of the range.

Back