dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
friday night i racked a scotish 70/- to secondary, leaving the WYeast Scottish Ale Yeast cake in the bottom of the primary, fully intending to brew a Wee Heavy saturday morning and re-use the yeast cake....

well, holiday weekends being what they are, it's sunday afternoon and ive just turned on the burner for my strike water for the Wee Heavy. The yeast cakes been closed up inside the fermenter all weekend, inside the beer closet (~76*F). Doesn't smell bad, but don't want to brew a beer w/ 26 lbs of grain and pitch bad yeast...

What would you do? Dump the yeast (i've got S04, US05, and Notty on hand), or pitch right on the yeast cake?

How much liquid was on top of the cake?

If the yeast cake has been covered by a bit of liquid, I think it should be fine. Otherwise I'd probably dump it.

yeah, it's been covered by 1/8 to 1/4 in of beer from the last batch. I've given it a few more smells over the past hour or so, still smells fine to me everytime. I think i'm gonna go ahead and use it.

go for it. since it was closed up, it should be fine. friday-sunday? no problem. i just did the same thing with a wit cake i wanted to use for hefeweizen ( thursday to yesterday )

Back