A big ale.... recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoitsmatt

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers /brewmeisters.... it's that wonderful time of year again when the leaves turn lovely shades of gold and brown, the morning frost greets you when you go to get the paper, and the cool night air makes you reach for big beers that make you feel all warm inside.... I, my friends, have brewed one of the greats... Troegs Mad Elf Ale.... that's right. it's an ale... and it goes a little something like this:

Briess Golden Light --extract-- (7lbs)
Briess Sparkling Amber --extract-- (3lbs)
Weyerman Caramunich (2lbs)
Muntons Chocolate Malt (1/4 lb)
Crystal 20 (1/4 lb)
3lbs of Honey
5 lbs of Cherries (half sweet, half sour)-- secondary--

1oz. (German) Hallertaur (4.3%)
1oz. Czech Saaz (3%)

WLP 500- Trappist Ale Yeast

--steep grains--
103* @ 30min
152* @ 30 min
sparge

(90 minute boil)
1oz hallertaur - 60 min
0.5oz Saaz - 60 min
1 lb Honey - 0 min (flameout)

-- 2lbs Honey to primary--
--pitch yeast-- (for this i made a few starters to get almost 1 cup of slurry)

Pitched the yeast as the Eagles were losing to the Lions... what a way to lose...... it's been going crazy since then. Huge krausen... the blow off hose has yet to encounter the foam though. I ended with a little more than 5 gals, put into a 6.5 gal glass carboy... it's flirting with the hose but not committing... it's been 48 hours now so i'm not expecting too much more... although i did accidentally leave a window open in the basement and it got down to around 40* last night but it didn't appear to slow it down at all...
Happy fall everyone and thanks!

Back