Pumpkin Ale with Edinburgh Scottish Yeast (WLP028)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberlad

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've never really strayed from the basic WLP001 strain, unless I was playing around with a Kolsch or Wit. That said, I'm very curious about WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish yeast. In particular, I'm wondering if it should be *the* yeast I use in my upcoming annual pumpkin ale.

Can anyone describe the kinds of flavors WLP028 produces? Have you brewed a pumpkin ale with WLP028? If so, what are your thoughts? Everything I've found online doesn't really describe the flavor -- just says it's a good yeast for malty Scottish Ales. White Labs themselves seems to insist that WLP028 is a great default strain, rather than WLP001.

What say you, brewers?

I just used WLP028 for a pumpkin ale, so there you go! But it's just starting fermentation so i have no notes.

from what i've read, it brings the malt forward in a neutral way which is "why it's good for malty beers". That's about all Ive gathered, but i'm hoping for the best. I think it's also because it may mute out late-addition hops a bit (not sure about that though).

I made two beers with WL028, an English pale and a mild. Both came out with an emphasis on soft, rounded malt flavors, but it also let the hops shine brightly in the pale ale. I heard Neva (head of the WL production dept?) say earlier this month that it's actually her favorite strain b/c it's so versatile.

I think it'd be great for pumpkin beer!

My pumpkin with WLP0028 turned out great! It took 3 days to get started so that was bad (ended up having a light infection but I took necessary precautions). The malt comes through nice and smooth, you're right about that one. It has a definite smoothness as a young beer compared to our sister batch that was the same wort but with S-04.

Update: I'm a few days away from bottling, and so far everything looks fantastic. I'll do a taste test when I bottle, but my pumpkin ale smells and looks fantastic. Can't wait to try this!

Back