What would you catagorize these as?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I have been drinking Dead Guy Ale from Rogue and Arrogant Bastard ale from Stone and love them both.

What style beer are they?

According to the Rogue website, they consider Dead Guy as a "Maibock fermented with an ale (pacman) yeast." From their website: Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogue's proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops. Dead Guy Ale is available in 22-ounce bottles, 12-ounce 6-pack, and on draft.

Measurements: 16 degrees Plato, IBU 40, Apparent Attenuation 78, Lovibond 16

It's fermented at 60 degrees and not lagered, so it's not a Maibock. I think it's generally undefinable.

As far as AB, I would consider that an American strong ale. It's one of my favorites, as is the Dead Guy.

how is it a lager with ale yeast? is a bock malt and hop bill, does it get lagered like a bock would? i never had it as it costs a bunch here for a 22oz bottle.

edit: i should read all of yooper's post! ;)

Back