American IPA Crooked Tree Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangj

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7days 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
This is the best IPA I have mad and close to the real thing.
11.5 lbs Pale Malt (2row)
1 Lbs Crystal 10L
1 Lbs Munich Malt
______________________________________IBU
1oz Chinook 45 Min
1oz Cascade 5 Min
1oz Centennial Dry Hopping

90 min mash @153°F
75% Efficiency

24490_388935197435_689937435_3912033_5611320_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The one on the left is the clone. I finally tasted them back to back. As you can see from the photo, the clone is a little lighter. As far as flavor goes though, they're almost dead on. Way to go Mustangj. I'm enjoying this one very much. :mug:

I saw this recipe months ago and was tempted to double it and make Double Crooked Tree. My father in-law and I absolutely love that beer and it would be great to have some on tap. I think I may have to give it a go!

The one on the left is the clone. I finally tasted them back to back. As you can see from the photo, the clone is a little lighter. As far as flavor goes though, they're almost dead on. Way to go Mustangj. I'm enjoying this one very much. :mug:

I didn't realise there was that much difference in color!

Glad you like it though :tank:

The picture is a little deceiving because of the low light in the room. The color of the clone is very much like the one you posted above. The original is darker, but I don't think quite as dark as it appears in the picture.

I saw this recipe months ago and was tempted to double it and make Double Crooked Tree. My father in-law and I absolutely love that beer and it would be great to have some on tap. I think I may have to give it a go!

I would love to try an extract DCT. Was thinking of using a HopShot for the bittering portion to reduce the physical presence of the hops

Will do.

Except I'll probably use 6.5 lbs of DME since I'm not up to AG brewing quite yet.
I'm thinking of doing this as well for a trip to Disney with the kid and another couple/kids that like drinking beer! (kids don't drink LOL):D

I'm a partial mash guy so AG I can't do nor am I set up for it.

Is that what the only thing you'd change? Aslo have you brew'd yet?

Thanks in advance!!!
~K
BTW love that when I searched HBT came on top via google! :ban:

Might be a newbie question, but this sits in secondary for 14 days. Did you dry hop the Centennial just for the last seven days or did you dry hop for the entire 14? Thanks! Hoping to make this one in the next few days.

I'm curious...Your IBUs in the recipe are at 47.76, but I'm calculating half that, with your hop schedule.
Did I miss something?

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I'm trying DCT, this weekend & am hoping to nail it.

Your right... I can't remember how I got 47.

I've followed this recipe and it turns out great everytime.

Has anyone made this recently? Don't know if anyone has seen this:

Aaron at Darkhorse. "Yes we condition with the primary yeast. The yeast strain use in
our IPA is Nottingham - Don't know if you have ever used it, but
it is a great yeast. Very versatile! I recommend it to anyone -
I have been brewing with it for years - it will even ferment down
to 50 degrees so you can use it to make kind-a-lagers. I have
used it to make Oktoberfest and a few other lagers and no one can
tell the difference. Ferments very clean, flocs well, and handles
multiple pitches great. - Aaron"

So I recently brewed this...I did a extract with 2lbs of DME early and 6lbs LME late. Also I used Wyeast London ale III. it's a good Nottingham substitute. 8 days in primary and it still chugging along!!

I am still fairly new to all grain with my first batch I did a ten gallon and my water amounts where perfect. My second batch I ended up with four gallons instead of five after boiling. Can someone help me with figuring out amounts of water for this recipe? Is there a way to tell how much will be absorbed into grain and how much boils off? I'm planning on doubling this for a double crooked tree.

Hello,

I'm trying to convert this to extract, as I am a fairly new brewer and not quite ready for all grain. I found a simple enough calculation for the pale malt to LME or DME, but I still have a few questions about this recipe:

1.) Can I still steep the 1 lb of Crystal 10L (I was thinking about 30 minutes at 150*-155* F)
2.) Is there a substitute for Munich, as I've read that it is not good to steep Munich.
3.) Do I need to adjust the amount of hops or hop schedule in any way?
4.) How long did you dry hop?

Thank you for any advice.

Has anyone made this recently? Don't know if anyone has seen this:
"....The yeast strain use in our IPA is Nottingham...."

I've got Nottingham on the stirplate right now, just waiting on a delivery of my new SS Immersion chiller (arrival tomorrow, pending floods here in Queensland, AU)...

I'll unfortunately have to swap the bittering hop (Chinook) out, as I can't seem to get any from my LHBS. Thinking of going with Galena, which I've got a bag of in the freezer... Thoughts?

Will report back once brewed and fermented out :)

Cheers
Martin

Hey guys,

I brewed this up yesterday, got 6.5 gallons of 1.067 wort into the fermenter, now bubbling away on Nottingham yeast :)

It was a pretty eventful brew-day TBH, I ended up doing a bunch of "firsts", my pickup tube in my brew kettle was new and not tested (caused issues with my whirlpool), the immersion chiller was new and not tested (in fact the hole in my keggle wasn't quite big enough, so I had to "screw" it in!), the water I have here in sunny QLD is about 82F making it hard to chill the wort completely... Never the less, I think it'll still turn out to be a good beer!

With the dry-hopping schedule of 2 weeks, that seems extreme to me? I think 1 week is more than sufficient, thoughts?

Cheers,
Martin

I have this on tap now and did a 10 day dry hop. Pretty tasty and 7.4%. I personally don't think 4 days makes that much of a difference but YMMV.

Thanks for the recipe. Certainly a winner.

Thanks aproud1, I'm mainly concerned/worried about the grassy flavours you get if you dry hop for too long. I guess I'll start tasting it from 5 or so days in secondary and keep an eye on it.

BTW I'd forgotten how much of an animal the Nottingham yeast is! I've had to switch over to a blow-off tube this morning :p
I do love the creamy mouth feel I get from that yeast though. Really looking forward to trying this beer!

Trialled a bottle yesterday, it is still a little green, but I got resinous, almost spicy pine flavours, backed by big malt flavours. Does that compare to anyone else's taste notes?

I need to let it condition a few more weeks, but current thoughts would be to get a bit more bitterness into that beer, which perhaps makes it more distant to the original, thoughts?

Thanks to the OP for the original recipe

Back