Mounting a burner: how close is too close?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my friend is helping me build a new 3 vessel horizontal brewstand for my 3 keggles. It's looking good so far and this weekend he mounted the burners. We didn't talk much about height, so I guess he just took a guess, which I believe may be too short.

I have 2 BG14 burners on the outside and 1 SQ14 burner on the inside for the mash tun. The 2 big burners have 2" of space between the very bottom dome part of the keg and the top of the burner. The SQ14 burner has 1.25" of space between the very bottom of the dome part and the top of the burner. Pics are attached.

I've read 4" is ideal. Is this going to be a problem? Should I have him lower the burners now, or plumb it with gas line and test it first?

smallburner.jpg

^ small burner with 1.25" of space

bigburner.jpg

^ big burner with 2" of space. The pic is a bit deceiving but I measured it myself.

stand.jpg

^ picture of the overall stand.

I am guessing they are to close.
I don't think you are going to get a clean burning flame.
Now that they are hard mounted into place, you can wait and test prior to prime/paint in case you have to cut them off and adjust. you might want to think about an adjustable mounting system.

I don't have much experience mounting burners but I would definitely say that those are too close. The flames will be at least 2 inches. I would lower the burners to 4 or maybe 5 inches from the pots.

It depends if you're running high or low pressure. I am getting super clean flames out of my BG-12's (your SQ-14 burner) and 4" is way too far away. I'm going to go more like 2-2.5".

I suggest you make them adjustable from 2-4" or thereabouts. I would not fix the location.

I have a 30psi regulator that will be split to all 3 burners. I have 3 needle valves that will control flame height. Is that high or low pressure?

It doesn't matter what you're regulator is - it matters what your burners are. There is an orifice in the burner that is designed to let a certain amount of pressure through and that determines high or low. And those burners can be either so you need to know that beforehand.

I got them from Amazon and just checking now it says they're high pressure and only to use them with a 30 psi reg.

I bet you'll be in the 3-4" range but again I would make them adjustable. Until you run your system you won't know and one size does not fit all here. Too many variables.

I have a 30psi regulator that will be split to all 3 burners. I have 3 needle valves that will control flame height. Is that high or low pressure?

That's high pressure. Low pressure would be around 0.4 psi, or 11" Water Column, in the ball park with a domestic natural gas supply...

Cheers!

Back