Do you know how this worked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
Family is cleaning out my inlaws house in Chicago and I came across this. My deceased father in law had a basement bar and this set up for beer. probably hasn't been used in 20 yrs. Had my wife bring it home for the tap but I'm wondering- 1) how was this used? 2) Can it be used like this again or is there another setup I can use that coil for?
Thanks

079.JPG

081.jpg

Looks like a heat exchanger. I imagine the space around was filled with ice, and the beer was drawn through the line to chill it as it was poured. Basically the same concept as a cold plate.

Old jockey box. If that coil is stainless steel, you should be able to run some beer line cleaner through it. I've never seen a tap like that, so what I'd do is put the cleaner in a cornie and run some through, then crank the pressure up to 30 psi and see if there are any leaks.

The little tank at the top of the coil might be there to keep the tap cold. As parts, the coil looks like it connects to a standard shank.

Old jockey box. If that coil is stainless steel, you should be able to run some beer line cleaner through it. I've never seen a tap like that, so what I'd do is put the cleaner in a cornie and run some through, then crank the pressure up to 30 psi and see if there are any leaks.

The little tank at the top of the coil might be there to keep the tap cold. As parts, the coil looks like it connects to a standard shank.

I'll be getting into kegging but I'm not there yet. Kind of what I figured; it was filled with ice and connected to a keg. Any other ideas on what to do with this thing. If the coil is S.S I'm thinking it would make a nice wort chiller. As for the tap when I do set up a fridge would it be easy enough to hook up considering it's an older tap.

Not sure on the tap, but thats an old jockey box, and by the looks of it, appears to be copper inside there.

Not much use for at the house. But if you could update the tap, as I'm sure it's not working from the age and corrosion, you have a pretty solid jockey box. Fill with ice and water, and the pre chilled keg can be ran through there and the beer will be chilled down even more.

I think it would be a cool display piece...I want to see it all cleaned up with all that copper in there

I think it would be a cool display piece...I want to see it all cleaned up with all that copper in there

Do you think the coil is copper. I just took it apart a while ago and the coil feels very light compared to my copper wort chiller. I need to find out what it is then decide what to do with it. What's the best way of cleaning it all up if it is copper. It looks like the inside of the box is wood frame with copper sheeting lining it.

If it's copper, it would be green like the inside of the box. It might be light just because it's short. Boiling in white vinegar is one way to clean copper.

The coil is probably aluminum. Spray the insides with vinegar and it should start to clean up. Great display once it's clean.
They use to rent these for about $2 when you bought a keg back in the 60's..

bosco

I think the coil is aluminum or SS. I'd guess aluminum though. Copper for the "box" inside.

Clean it up, I think it'd be a cool piece.

Back