Beer competitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghosthef

Reaction score
Just a quick question with regards to beer competitions. If it best to bottle your submissions (carb with priming sugar? Or is there a better way to do it?

I personally prefer force carbing, then bottling off the keg. That way I get all the advantages of clear beer.

The visual presentation portion of a BJCP score is only 3 points, but we eat/drink with our eyes first, and it might in some way affect the rest of the score.

Very true. I'm bottling now only because I have all my kegs full. Do you simply pour the beer into the bottles then cap or is there a special tool to help retain more CO2?

Very true. I'm bottling now only because I have all my kegs full. Do you simply pour the beer into the bottles then cap or is there a special tool to help retain more CO2?

You'd never "just pour!" There are special tools, from a $70 "beer gun" to a free version that is homemade. (See the thread "we no need no stinkin' beer gun" for the how-to).

Either bottle conditioned beers or force carbed (and then bottled) beers are fine, and both do equally well in competition. Judges know how to pour a bottle conditioned beer, and no points are given or taken away for sediment in a bottle!

Back