Bayou 44 SS vs 42 Alu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

A few questions for all you knowledgeable folk out there.

A brief background:
I want to go down the path of eBIAB al la Desintegra8or as seen here.

He suggests using one of two kettles; 42 quart Alu or a 44 quart SS. The price difference makes that choice easy, but I have a couple questions.

1) If the steamer pot on the 42 quart Alu pot sits 2" above the bottom, does that truly leave enough room for the 1-1/4" holes for the heating elements? I believe the SS pot has 3" of room.

2) If there really is an inch difference in the mounting of the basket, would that space be more valuable in terms of assembly to be worth the difference in price?

2a) How big of a difference in real application is 2 quarts? and wouldn't the inch difference actually give almost the same usable (i.e. grain actually being submerged) boil volume in the 42 as you would see in the 44 SS?

Thanks all!

Mark

The SS pot will hold heat (mash-in) much longer. I have the SS. The Aluminum pot will cool faster and is lighter duty. Size doesn't matter say those with smaller pots...

Depends on the element and how you install it. The 44qt has 3" between the bottom & the basket. The basket is 13.5"x13" or approx 30 quarts. I used and would recommend the SS pot.

Thanks for the tips! I actually bit the bullet and went with the 60 quart Alu bayou classic. Relaxing, not worrying, etc.

Latest posts

Back