Helles Bock "Hellofa Beer" - Bock Maibock/Hellesbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
Yeast Starter
2000 ML
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 Gallong
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
50 @ 30 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
35 @ 14 days
Tasting Notes
Malty, sweet and light hop balance.
Name: Hellofa Beer

Style: Bock Maibock/Hellesbock Partial Mash Version

thumb1_helles-bock-small-56301.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Notes:
---------------
This is a really good beer, strong malty base with balanced hops. It is surprisingly similar to the German Lager Beer Becks.

Starting and ending gravity on high end, which resulted in a malty, sweet and high alcohol (7%). I would put this up against any commercial beer. Definitely a candidate for a competition.

Part of the success of this beer is the water profile listed below. If you compromise this part, you'll compromise the taste. Especially unfiltered water. If your water has any salts, it will come through in the final beer.

Because part of the flavor profile comes from decoction (boiling grains and wort and adding it back to the mash to raise the temperature), we are going to replicate it with the 1 pound of Pilsner Grain listed in the Grains list.

Put your crushed grains in a grain bag, add enough water to cover grain 154F for 30 minutes. Keep grain in bag and heat up to a boil, keep it at boil for 5 minutes. Take out the grain bag, rinse grain into boiler. Add wort from grain bag to boiler and 3 gallons of water and extract; and boil for 90 minutes adding hops per the schedule below.

Grain/Extract/Sugar List:

% Amount Name Origin
---------------------------------------------------
84.2 8.00 lbs. Pilsner Extract German style
10.5 1.00 lbs. Pilsner Grains Germany
5.3 0.50 lbs. CaraPils Dextrine Malt USA

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------
0.20 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.10 11.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 15.8 60 min.

Note: Magnum is cheaper (higher IBU) and neutral in flavor. Saaz is the flavor compound.
However, is lower in IBU, which requires a higher volume and higher cost. My opinion
is that too much volume of low Alpha hops can give a slight off flavor. This is
a light beer and I don't want any weird flavor components (JMHO).

Yeast
WLP860 Munich Helles Yeast

Water Profile
Profile: Reverse Osmosis (RO Water)
Additives: Calcium Chloride 1 Tsp (1 Tsp/5-6 gal)
Note: This part is critical. Use only RO water and add Calcium Chloride.
Most water has salt and other carbonates that will dull the beer.
pH: 5.2-5.5 (I use food grade phosphoric Acid and ended up with 5.30)

Mash Schedule
First take your grains and put them in a grain bag. Sit in 1.50-1.75 gallons of water at 154F for 30 minutes.
Heat grain and water to a boil for 5-10 minutes.
When boile is complete, rinse grains into wort, add enough water for 3.0 gallons and add Light Malt Extract.
Boil for 90 minutes.
Add enough water for 5 gallons.
Mashing is finished.

Fermentation
Cool to 50F along with yeast and combine.
Ferment until beer is 1.018 FG.
36 hrs at 65F for diacetyl rest.
Cool to 35F for 2 to 4 weeks (Lagering).
The fermentation process is six weeks. To determine Lagering period, take six weeks less the amount of fermentation time and that is your Lagering period at low temps.

Competition results:

This won Silver at the recent 2012 ASH Oktoberfest Homebrew Competition out of nine entries. One judge wanted more hops, but that was just one opinion of two. However, with that said, I'm going to make some changes for the next competition.

Changes:

I am going to try original gravity of 1.065 and 1.060 with the same 25 IBU to see if I can get a Gold out of this recipe.

My reasoning is that although this beer is supposed to be malty, I want to tone it down, and bring up the hop bitterness a bit.

Back