Partial Mash Surely Bender Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c8h12n4o3

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing up NB's Surely Bender Partial Mash Kit. This is my first partial and so far its been great....until:

Recipe calls for .75 oz of Columbus at beginning of boil then 2.5oz of willamette at the end. Well in all my glory of multi-tasking I put the 2.5 oz of willamette in at the beginning. Probably will change the IBUs, but what should I do with the .75oz of columbus?

Still have 45 mins left in the boil.

It will still be beer so no harm done just learned a lesson too. I didn't place my bowls in order.:drunk: Won't forget next time.

Well instead of getting 39.9 bittering units from your 60 minute addition from the Columbus you are going to get 47.5 from the Willamette. Really it could have been worse (It's a good think Willamette is only 5.5%AA).

I think if it were me I'd just skip the Columbus in this, it's a very earthy, piney hop...I don't like it as an aroma hop.

Thanks for the input...I added the Columbus at 15 mins. The hydro sample tasted awesome. Missed OG by 4, 1.056, supposed to be 1.060. My mash temp was a bit low when I pulled the lid at an hour, however....it will be beer. Curious to find a Surely Bender to compare it too.

Back