What temperature can I set my kegerator to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddzio

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I bought a couple of 1/6 barrel kegs today for my new kegerator, I have not kegged any of my own beer. The guy at the keg store insists that the kegs must be kept between 36-38 degrees, or the beer will spoil in a matter of days. I generally prefer my beer at a more cellar temp- maybe 50-55. Is this guy correct? What is the highest safe temperature?
Thanks!

I imagine that as long as everything is sanitized properly you could store at 50-55 for a very long time without and problems. In other words, don't believe that guy.
EDIT: To put into perspective: Lots of guys on here leave their beer in primary for months or more at fermentation temps, it makes the beer better, not worse.

Well our beer is alive (still has yeast) whereas most commercials do not.

while there may be some truth to what he said, I still call bull**** and since nothing is being introduced into the keg except co2 I don't see the beer "spoiling"

what does spoiled beer even mean?

what does spoiled beer even mean?

Oxidized.

Oxygen is the enemy, temp has nothing to do with it. (Note that I don't condone freezing or boiling ;))

He was giving you advice about a party tap most likely, which pushes beer with oxygen. In that case, I don't know if colder temp would help or not, but I would guess yes.

The guy at the keg store probably assumes you'll be pushing the beer with a keg pump (using air) rather than CO2.

In answer...I hold both my kegerators at 37 degrees. If you're using CO2 to push the beer, you've little to worry about with regard to spoilage as long as the beer is kept cool. After all...a keg under CO2 pressure is nothing more than a very large can of beer.

good info in this thread. about to build a kegerator of my own and wondered if i could keep it low to lager beer simultaneously or if i needed to keep it warm enough to serving temp. looks like i can do either =)

Latest posts

Back