Is it safe to rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksmitty

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG on 11/28, It was also my first stout (chocolate oatmeal). I had active fermentation for a couple days. Continuous airlock bubbling. Fermenting in the low 60's. OG was 1.076, Estimated FG 1.019. I took a hydro reading last night, 1.020. However, there was what appeared to be a small krausen remaining on the wort, like it hadn't completely fallen back in yet. I primary in a bucket, so I don't know how long it normally takes for the krausen to disappear completely.

If I take another hydro reading Friday or Saturday, and the gravity is steady, is it okay to rack to secondary, even if there is still a small krausen present? I want to let it sit in secondary for a week or so with a vanilla bean, in order to mellow out the flavor.

I'd wait til the krausen fell myself. If it has krausen it still may be fermenting...and like dry hopping to soon, the co2 from the fermentation may drive off the flavor/aroma essence from the vanilla. And if you rack now with krausen you may trigger more fermentation after you rack.....so give it til the weekend.

I'm definitely waiting for the weekend. That will give me 3-4 days between hydro readings. Do you think the krausen will be gone by then? How long does it typically stick around, or does that vary wildly?

I'm definitely waiting for the weekend. That will give me 3-4 days between hydro readings. Do you think the krausen will be gone by then? How long does it typically stick around, or does that vary wildly?

It varies wildly....I've also had it hang on til the day I went to take a hydro reading and lifting the bucket out of my closet and putting it where I can open it, and that's knocked it down.

Back