Have you made a high gravity beer without O2 tanks? How high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hello -

i'd like to try making a high-gravity belgian. i won't be buying an pure oxygen aeration system anytime soon, so i'll have to depend on splashing/shaking/venturi/etc - AKA 8 ppm. i will be using a high-gravity yeast (abbey II).

what's the highest OG i can safely go for? should i try keeping my OG under a certain number? i realize that pure O2 isn't a necessity to brew strong beers, but there must be some upper limit that will keep me on the safe side...

what is the highest gravity beer that you brewed successfully without using pure O2?

I have a 1122 fermenting right now (Belgian Blondy), i used DAP nutrient and the only aerating done was by pouring the wort. I used 2 yeast packages for a 5 gallon volume. I am going to check the gravity in a day or two couse the airlock is getting slower...

If the gravity at one week not close to "good progress", I am going to add more DAP Nutrient and swirl...

1.122 - whoa. that's not a big belgian, that HUGE! please report back when you do get around to checking it, i'd love to hear how you're doing. i take it you're aiming for something around 1.030? that would put you a little over 12% ABV :drunk:

with a beer that big, i imagine you'll want to spend at least 2 weeks in primary if not longer (personally, i'd go 3 or more).

My 120 started at 1.096 added 10# sugar during ferment putting the og up to about 1.172 finished at 1.016 so I am right about at 21%.

I would make a huge starter, use a lot of nutrient, and try to pitch the starter at high krausen to give your yeast a bigger advantage.

1.090 barley wine. poured back and forth couple of times and added 2 packs of us-05. down to 1.015.

Bottled last month a wheatwine w/ SG 1.148. No O2 used, just healthy starter and low ferm temps. Bottomed out at 1.024- 16.2%. on all my barleywines, big healthy starters and low and slow fermentations is the key...

I'm getting my ingredients today for a Imperial Porter. OG: 1.132 14.7% ABV My biggest beer yet! Going to be named "Queen Bee" because of the 4lbs of honey. I though it was a fitting name :D Goodluck.

1.081 OG IPA with 2 packs of Safale 05 down to 1.011. Just vigorous stirring after pouring into fermenter

Back