Nitro woe - foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipjimmer

Reaction score
I'm almost done with my first keg served on Nitro. The first half of the keg poured great.

Over the last two weeks though. Glasses pour almost all foam. I'm pretty sure that since my fridge that runs too cold (diff issue) is causing the beer to absorb too much cO2.

Anyone else have this issue-and do you serve and then turn off the gas to prevent this from happening?

Thx.

I

JuanMoore said:
What blend of gas are you using, and what's your serving pressure and temperature?

70/30, 30 PSI, 40F. That will end up over gassing eventually is my guess.

70/30, 30 PSI, 40F. That will end up over gassing eventually is my guess.

It shouldn't. Nitro faucets should be able to handle up to 1.8vol, and even if the beer at the bottom of the keg is getting significantly colder, you'd still be under 1.6vol. Have you checked to make sure the restrictor plate doesn't have any debris clogging any of the holes?

The restrictor plate was my guess as well. I've got an English IPA on tap that had a little bit of hop debris from dry hopping, and for a while the first part of the keg would start to kick out foamy beers, until finally stop flowing at all. Just unscrew the bottom of the tap and wash out the little holes, and see if that clears things up. Mine happened enough to cause a problem fairly quickly, if you only had a little clogging I could see it taking a while before it started to happen. Either way, its an easy thing to check.

Checked the disc, it wasn't clogged. Actual temp is 38. I also previously had force carbed it.

I'm still thinking too much gas.

Latest posts

Back