Calibrating Blichmann Brewmometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAfreek

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a 15 Gal Boilermaker a few weeks ago, and to my understanding there was supposed to be a calibration procedure outlined in the box, but it didnt come with one. Anyone know anything about this? My thermometer is about 18 degrees on the cold side :( Cheers!

i think there is a nut head on the back that turns the face or the dial but mine has never gone off of calibration so i can't remember.

How precise do you want to go? If you want simple, stick the thermo in boiling water and adjust the screw to 212.

If you have a thermo for a chiller, you may want to calibrate to 32 because 70 is closer to freezing than boiling. Stick it in ice water and adjust the screw.

The next step for precision is to find your altitude and then use a calculator like this to find your boiling temp. You can get your altitude from your city's Wiki page and possibly your specific house from google maps.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

I have all of my thermos calibrated to boiling at a hair below 211 because I'm about 700 ft above sea level.

If you want super precision, you'll need your altitude, a good barometer reading, some graph paper, and both boiling water and ice water.

apreciate the good info! yea i saw the screw on the back of the thermometer head after i posted, got it going. And luckily where I'm at here in VA we are about 10 feet above sea level, so I should be pretty good on my acuracy. Thanks again

Back