Being new to brewing is awesome....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mase

Reaction score
... because I get to conduct my research...while collecting bottling supplies!

That is all!

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Yep,

But, I did not plan as well and got my first batch going before collecting bottles. I bought a couple of cases and started collecting bottles.

I did not do a good enough job of sourcing free bottles and soon had three batches going with not enough bottles and had to buy some more.

I now have several hundred bottles and 4-5 styles bottled and 2 more in fermentation.

This hobby is great! And TASTY!

FYI - Sam Adams & New Belgium bottles have their logos printed on the bottles. I don't want another man's name on my beer, so I pass on those.

Funny thing is I moved to kegging, but I still buy beer and my friends won't stop bringing me their empty bottles, because I told them early on that I would replace their empties with full bottles if homebrew. I can't bring myself to toss them so I have hundreds. My wife is on me to donate them to those in need but I'm to lazy to sort them. I like to keep bottles appropriate for competition and give away the others.

Its a great hobby, I hope you have an understanding/supportive significant other. Mine bought me my starter kit so if she complains I remind her that it is her fault.

I use'em myself. But I also have plenty of blank craft beer bottles that every batch gets some of. Just in case I'm entering a competition. Otherwise,I know it's my beer in them. I like the Paulaner bottles with the bearded monks embossed on the shoulder of the bottles.

FYI - Sam Adams & New Belgium bottles have their logos printed on the bottles. I don't want another man's name on my beer, so I pass on those.

I don't care about the Logo thing, but I have had several New Belgiums break while capping. Sadly I have several cases of them, the Folly pack was too good of a deal.

I've heard Red Hook bottles are good. Collected a few cases worth in preparation for bottling my first batch! It's such a shame having to drink so much beer to get the bottles needed...:D

Oh i know, the humanity of it all, right? I tried to convince my self that I'm saving money by not actually purchasing empties but with craft sixers around $8-$14 a pop, who am I kidding!

Most home brew competitions allow sam adams bottles I believe. and their labels come off pretty easy. I have the same problem of not being able to stop people from bringing me so many bottles! kegging rules forever.

I don't care about the Logo thing, but I have had several New Belgiums break while capping. Sadly I have several cases of them, the Folly pack was too good of a deal.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have problems with New Belgium's bottles.

I looked on the BJCP site,& can't find anything on what bottles are legal. I read somwhere that the bottles can't have any sort of labeling on them. I just can't find it again.

Back