brewing a hef: question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefkprZ

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing a raspberry hefeweizen, my question is, should I go with a long primary or should I go with a secondary fermentation?
a lot of what I have been reading is leading me to think a long primary is the more appropriate route to go with the hef. what are your thoughts?

long primary. Ive got a hefe in the primary and am not going to rack. You want cloudiness and yeasty profile.

How long of a primary are you thinking? Hefe's don't really take that long to be ready to drink. Adding the raspberries will add extra fermentation time due to the extra fermentables.

I just racked my cranberry hefe, so I could add the cranberries to the secondary. I would have considered just adding them to the primary after the initial ferment was done, but I wanted to wash and harvest the yeast, so I racked. I guess my answer is only secondary if there is a specific reason for it, otherwise, leave it in the primary.

How long of a primary are you thinking? Hefe's don't really take that long to be ready to drink. Adding the raspberries will add extra fermentation time due to the extra fermentables.

I was thinking 3 weeks for primary.

Back