can I mix sucrose w/ another kind of sugar for Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
so, I want to sttart another batch, and my last batch was 6 gallons, so my 4 lb bag of sucrose is now half apound short for a gallon batch. Can i substitute a half pound if regular sugar???

Well, sucrose IS regular table sugar...did you mean dextrose? And I'm guessing you mean "half a pound short for a 5 gallon batch." But yeah, you can substitute different kinds of sugar, mixed or not. I've used dextrose, sucrose, and turbinado with good results. The nice thing about dextrose, is that it's superfine and easy to dissolve in cold juice. But you should have no problems swapping in 1/2 pound of table sugar.

:inserts foot in mouth: :eek:

yes, i meant corn sugar, not regular sugar or Splenda. Thanks for your replies. Ill just go ahead with 1.5 lbs corn sugar and half a pound of regular old crystals.

Yeah...no Splenda, unless your yeast are chubby and need to diet! :cross:

I doubt you'll even notice any difference with that 1/2 pound of table sugar. Good move BTW, getting another batch going right away! I think I've had a batch or two bubbling away continuously for the past 2 years. Which reminds me...I'm about ready to keg my last batch, so it's time to pickup some more apple juice!

Latest posts

Back