Aerating diffusion stone instead of stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
I'm mainly interested in growing yeast from a culture. I was thinking of getting an aquarium stone (i have a .5 micron metal one if that's better) toss in star san for 5 mins. or so. Then connect to an aquarium pump and toss it in the starter. Would the air both keep the yeast in suspensions via bubbles and I assume it will be pretty aerated after 24-36 hours.

That is the basic principle of an "air lift" fermentor. With a high enough flow rate it will work. Even if you are not keeping them moving all the time, it would have to be better than a simple (non-aerated) starter. However, I would make sure to have a sterile 0.2 micron filter in line so you are not blowing unsanitary air into the wort.

yes yes forgot to mention that part. I do have a air filter to put mid-line with it. ( don't recall the size but its small) I was going to put plastic wrap/ aluminium foil over the opening punch a hole for the air line. and just let the exit the loosely closed sides. What about the diffusion stone? the blue ones might harbour bacteria because they are so porous but the metal one might dissolve trace elements and poison me?

Back