Is this much washed yeast real or am I nuts - with pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I just bottled my first hefe and am washing the yeast. I used 1 vial of WLP 300 in a 3 gallon batch. It looks like there is about 5 inches of yeast in this full sized pitcher. Is this even possible? Oh, and there is a SECOND pitcher that is about 3/4 full with the same ratio. Is all that creamy goodness yeast? This has been sitting for about 1.5 hours.....

IMAG0951.jpg

By upper layer, do you mean the top 1" or so? If you look close, the top 1" looks like "water", the next 5 inches or so look like yeast, and the bottom 3 inches look like trub....

Dave, you are correct. The "middle" layer in your pic is the yeast. Decant that into a new vessel, leaving behind the trub. Put the decanted yeast in the fridge and it will settle out even more. You may be able to get more trub to settle out as well...

Holy sh*t that is a lot of yeast. The last time I tried to wash some, I hardly got any! (US-04) Now I have more than I know what to do with!!

Latest posts

Back