eKeggle BIAB - Pump Re-circulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougp

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan out my eKeggle ports, and I'm wondering about re-circulation during mash. I assume that I should be directing any flow through my lid and on top of the mash - a dispersion via sparge arm or just letting the tube sit on the mash doesn't matter. But, this is just an assumption. I plan on putting in a whirlpool port and use that for re-circulation while heating the liquid - can I use this during mash instead of through a lid?

I recirculate back over top of the grain bed from the top ball valve/elbow into a 1/2" silicone tubing that connects to a sprinkler head held in place over middle of the keggle by a DIY aluminum sparge arm I built from scrap.

spargearm-s_zps3f156cf3.jpg

spargearm-3_zps08ee2d8d.jpg

What kind of bag are you using?

I had no issue with my viole bag when I fired my mash over a gas burner.
Now I have used my electric setup and the same bag will not drain fast enough for me to recirculate.
I can barely get the bag to grain when I hang it up.

thanks Kevin

Floyd and others,

What is your grind like?
1 or 2 or 3x ?
Gap on Mill set at?

thanks Kevin

Howdy Kevin.

I'm currently doing 1x grind at .033-.035" using the monster mill at my LHBS. I'm getting a decent crush (and 75% efficiency), some flour, very few intact husks at that setting. Next time, I may try a second pass and see what that does for me.

Back