KC blvds. Bully Porter has yeast bite!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungusamungas

Reaction score
Cracked my first bully and surprise! Tasted like yeast bite homebrew. Then I read the top rocker, " we added a small amount of yeast to beer, just before packaging, to produce sec fermentation in bottle. the yeast encourages further maturation.
My beef is that they should "encourage futher maturation" on their time, before releasing beer to the public. If this was my homebrew I would have to give it two to three weeks of cold conditioning to reduce the yeast bite.
Beer advcocate however loves this beer, so before I get flamed, maybe people love the bite, I think they should have aged the beer more.

Again, you're drinking it too soon.

Do you know that Chimay isn't even available for sale until it's been in the bottle for 18 months? That was a rhetorical question because I'm certain you didn't know. :D

Get more equipment. Brew more often and build up your inventory. :D

Im not drinking it too soon, they are selling it too soon. When I buy a beer I expect to be able to drink it that night and any aging that is needed to improve taste will be done on the brewers time, not mine.
With all due respect,
Getting more equipment, brewing more often and building up my inventory is not going to change how Boulvard Brewing brews their beers, after all this is the commercial brewing forum.

Did you drink it as soon as you got it home? Any bottle conditioned beer should be allowed to settle for a few days after it has been agitated (say, by a car ride). I recently made the mistake of buying a bunch of expensive Belgian style beers to take with me on an RV trip. Unfortunately, they never got a rest because of the constant rattling around in the camper's fridge. As a result, they all tasted a bit too yeasty.

Yes, I did drink the beer the same night I bought it and it had a 10 mile car ride, though I dont think it agaited it that much. Ill give bully stout another chance and let it settle for a few days before drinking it next time. thanks for the info.

Maybe...just maybe...that yeast bite is...dare I say it...desireable?

Could it be that all our irish moss, straining, cold conditioning, gelatin and filtering has been in contrast to a successful beer?

FWIW, the Blvd bottles actually instruct you to pour a partial bottle into a glass, swirl the bottle and continue the pour so you can get the yeast into suspension in the glass.

BierMuncher said:
FWIW, the Blvd bottles actually instruct you to pour a partial bottle into a glass, swirl the bottle and continue the pour so you can get the yeast into suspension in the glass.
I think that's only Boulevard Wheat (where yeast flavor is desirable). I could be wrong, but it would surprise me if they had instructions like that on a porter.

Back