Stout Fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletapbrewing

Reaction score
I used the search function but to no avail. I have been doing ales up to this point and I am looking into setups to better control my fermentation in order to jump into lagers. My question is if I brew a stout, does the fermentation temp have to be low like a lager or 62-68 like an ale?

Ale yeast. 60-70F.

But I should mention that you want to ferment at lower temps because Stouts do not have fruity off-flavors.

Lower temps meaning closer to 60 than to 70

But a safe bet would be to peruse the stout recipe database, select a common stout yeast, google that strain of yeast to get an understanding of yeast flavor and ideal temperatures.

Brew away!

Any time you try to determine fermentation temperature look at the specific yeast you use. A stout is an ale but not all ale yeasts are created the same. I find that the danstar nottingham that I use in stouts performs best when the ambient temperature is 60 degrees. So Belgian and Saison yeast give good flavor in the upper 70's. Hope this helps.

Ok perfect, my ferment temps usually stay around 60-66. I just didnt want to buy a stout kit and then realize I have no way of fermenting it properly.

Lower the better. I like the air temp in the fermenting room to be 60-62 for any beer that you want a clean yeast flavor so the malt dominates. The first 2-3 days of active fermentation is most critical. After it slows down it won't hurt the flavor to let it warm up a bit into the high 60's.

Back