Greatest discovery of mankind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatest discovery in the history of mankind

• Fermentation

• Penicillin

• The wheel

• Fire

• Electricity

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted "other". Dunno if it is actually a "discovery", but I always figured that the written language was the greatest invention, creation, whatever of mankind. Imagine, being able to pass down knowledge from one generation to the next, and having the next generation build upon that knowledge. If it wasn't for written language, we wouldn't have recipes to brew beer, and would have to figure out fermentation and ect. all over from one generation to the next. But, I know that fermentation works, that it can be used to make beer, and that there are tried and true recipes out there just waiting for me to brew and possibly tweak upon, all thanks to the written language.

Allan

One of my anthro profs held that toilet paper was the greatest of human inventions...followed closely by Scotch.

RayPratt said:
One of my anthro profs held that toilet paper was the greatest of human inventions...followed closely by Scotch.

Welcome Ray, Nice to see you have finally joined us. :mug:

I voted fire...but I really mean gunpowder (arguably also the worst invention ever). A close second was aviation. Gunpowder and aviation combined are a match made in heaven.

I'd say the transistor has to rank in the top ten. But then again...

89503251_8d5d1ab601.jpg

Back