What to blend with my weak stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoelM

Reaction score
made a oatmeal stout a few weeks back and screwed up the mash temps. End result is a thin, low alcohol (2.5%) beer. The flavor is good but it has no body at all. I'm looking to make something to blend this wit. Maybe a high alcohol ale to make a black and tan?

any suggestions?

I make a mild ale (3.5% or so) that I like to call Brown Trout Stout. It has a good bit of roasted malts in it, but also some good malty flavor (I use a fair amount of Vienna and crystal).

If I were you I would brew up a batch of a malty pale or amber ale (around 5 or 6%) and then you can test blend a couple beers to see whether its worth blending the entire batch. You will probably want to keep the hoppiness to a minimum for blending. Don’t necessarily just assume a 50/50 split will be the best, try a few different proportions.

Or you could do as you said and bottle/keg the second batch completely by itself and make black and tans right before pouring. The thin stout would surely float on top of a heavier batch.

If it’s a lost cause at least you have the second batch.

How can it be low alcohol and thin? If you mashed too low, it would be high alcohol and thin, if you mashed too high it would be low alcohol and thick.

How can it be low alcohol and thin? If you mashed too low, it would be high alcohol and thin, if you mashed too high it would be low alcohol and thick.

Yeah those questions crossed my mind as well. I just assumed that he had poor efficiency or maybe ran off more volume than originally planned or something.

JoelM it might be beneficial to post up some more details about your brew. What was recipe? How did the mash go? What was your OG? FG?

Back