Corn Syrup Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBrew

Reaction score
I found some cheaper Corn Syrup at the grocery store. The ingredients listed corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Is it supposed to be 100% corn syrup? Will these other ingredients affect the flavor in a good or bad way? Just wondering if this would be fine to use or should I just stick with the lhbs corn syrup?

well the salt has me a little worried. that is not going to ferment out and you may end up with salty beer. the vanilla sounds good adds a pleasant taste to most beer. the rest will ferment nicely and most likely not leave any taste.

I haven't ever used corn syrup, so I don't know what that will do to a recipe. But I wouldn't use an item like Karo, with the high fructose corn syrup and vanilla even if I wanted to use corn syrup.

What's the rest of the recipe like?

awhile back i did a light recipe that had 4lbs light lme, 2lbs karo light(has vanilla and salt listed in ingredients)

i didnt get any off flavors from it and couldent taste the vanilla/salt, but the FG finished a lot higher then i was expecting

Have you ever seen how they make high fructose corn syrup? It's cooked up like meth with all kinds of solvents and other nasty things.

No offense, but, to me, using a highly-processed Franken-made substance like HFCS kinda goes against the whole spirit of brewing from scratch.

Just my two bits.

Back