How much Belgian Candy Syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronclark

Constant Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to make something along the line of Belgian-style Ales in the future and was wondering about using Belgian Candy Syrup as a fermentable in them. Being that a number of businesses have sales going now, it appears to be a good time to nab some at a discount.

For a 5-gallon batch, how much Belgian Candy Syrup would be appropriate to bring out the distinctive flavor of the syrup without making it overbearing?

What other fermentables would best be paired with it? How much of them?

Any assistance or even pointing me to some recipes that use it so I can get a better handle on it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think about 1 pound of candy or syrup per 5-gallon batch is fairly common.

Many recipes can be found here.

From what i remember you can use it up to 20% but i dont think it will bring a lot of distinctive flavors, u may get some from dark candid but most of the time is used to boost alcohol level and to dry your beer, at the end its inverted sugar (historically the cheapest available sugar was used for inversion) so not much flavor in there

I have heard up to 20% I have only ever used a pound in 5 gallons. If you were going to use more then that you might want to mash higher to leave some body. The flavors it leaves are subtle so I don't think you can really over so it, just ends up drying the beer out more if you use more.

From Brew Like a Monk...

10-20% of the fermentables. So the amount will vary with the OG.

From my experience. White sugar just helps dry the beer out. Turbinado adds a slight flavor. Then up the scale D-45 adds more flavor, D-90 even more and D-180 the most.

This is the best I have found, look at Candisyrup.com

From Brew Like a Monk...

10-20% of the fermentables. From my experience. White sugar just helps dry the beer out. Turbinado adds a slight flavor. Then up the scale D-45 adds more flavor, D-90 even more and D-180 the most.

http://http://www.candisyrup.com/

This is the best I have found

I just used this D-180 in a batch today for the first time and it looked and smelled amazing as I was adding it to the boil. Can't wait to taste the results in a couple of months!

Back