Flossmoor Station Pullman Brown clone tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm brewing the Pullman Brown clone from Jamil's "Can You Brew It?" It's not exact as I made a couple of concessions due to availability. I couldn't get his 60 minute hop, so I substituted Chinook. I have all of the right grains, but altered a few quantities (like .5 lb honey malt instead of .75 lb...I had exactly .5 on hand.) But the grain bill is pretty close.

The molasses addition weirds me out. What kind of flavor is that going to add? I mean, besides molasses?

Jamil's Pullman Brown Clone

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 71.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.067
Terminal Gravity: 1.017
Color: 26.09
Alcohol: 6.66%
Bitterness: 31.4
90 minute boil

Ingredients:

5 lb American 2-row
5 lb Maris Otter
.75 lb Brown Malt
.5 lb Honey Malt
1.0 lb Cara Malt 37L
1.0 lb Munich
.5 lb Wheat
.75 Chocolate Malt
1.5 lb Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
8 oz Blackstrap Molasses (near end of boil)

0.5 oz Chinook (11.1%) - 60 min
0.5 oz Chinook (11.1%) - 20 min
1 Whirlfloc Tablets 15.0 min
.5 oz Cascade (7.1%) - 10 min
.5 oz Cascade (7.1%) - 0 min
1.0 tsp Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) - 0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP013 London Ale

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

How did it turn out? I am just tasting mine for the first time today and it is delicious! My only deviations from the recipe were Cascade for bittering, 12 oz molasses (suggested 8 to 12 in the podcast), all 2-row instead of MO, and lightly toasted flaked oaks instead of Golden Naked or whatever. All grain amounts stayed the same. I was worried that the molasses would be too much, but it really blends in well. I would definitely brew this one again.

Mine's long gone, but I really liked it. I thought it was really more of a Brown Porter than a Brown Ale, but that hardly matters with regards to my enjoyment of the beer. I think I'll probably brew it again as well, and I won't change a thing from the original recipe.

Of course I've never had the original beer, so I can't call it cloned.

Back