next question coopers IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paramedic007

Reaction score
From what I have read about this, I am going to mix the HME extract, dextrose, liquid malt extract, bring to 5gal mark, pitch yeast, airlock. The step I am considering adding is hop pellets, which I read is done during the boil. At what point is this wort supposed to be at a boil? The reason for adding the hops is I was told it will help aroma if put in at the last 5 minutes of the boil. How do I add these pellets for the aroma?

Here's what you do:

Get some water and bring it to a boil. Whatever amount the instructions say is fine. Add your LME. Before adding, take the pot off the burner to avoid scorching. Get the LME mixed in well and return to a boil. Add hops and boil five minutes. Turn off heat. Add all your other ingredients save for the hops.

Allow to cool a little and add the whole thing to your cold water. Assuming the temp is correct, pitch yeast.

Hops are added for three primary reasons: bitterness, flavor, and aroma. For bitterness, you boil them for roughly 60 minutes. For flavor, they are added within the last 20 minutes of the boil. And for aroma, they are added at the very end of the boil, or at some point after. Most people that make IPAs will dry-hop the beer, where they add hops to the fermenter, usually after the primary fermentation is done or nearly done. In regards to your question, the hopped LME will have already had hops additions done for all three characteristics. But, if you would like to add hops just for aroma, you could add pellets using the dry hop method. Its pretty easy, there are different approaches to this, I'd just do a google search or browse around on the forums here for some basic techniques.

Back