Getting wort down to temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen424

Reaction score
I find with using the IC it takes about 20-30 mins to get sit down to 70-80 degrees with a lot of water so I started filling a 5 gal cooler with ice writer and running that through the IC to save a bunch of water. Now I am wondering if I could run the wort through the IC, while it sits in ice water like a jockey box works or like a plate chiller. Does anyone do this? Is it bad to run hot wort through freezing water, and will it cool it down with just one pass?

Depends how long the coil is. Plate chillers and counterflow chillers chill a small amount of wort in a matter of seconds. Try stirring the hot wort over the coils. Can make a huge difference.

I guess a counter flow chiller would probably be the best bet to cool it to temp in one pass but then I have an extra IC. I stir it and all, just would like to turn a valve and fill the fermenter with cool wort.

Stir the wort in the opposite direction of the water flowing through the IC. That will help increase your heat transfer between the wort and the water.

Chilled NOW!

P1040402.jpg

I have a very small IC; 20' of 1/4" copper. It was purchased very cheap when I was doing 3 gal batches; now that I am doing 5 gal batches, it takes forever & uses a lot of water. What I did on my last batch was chill to 100°, rack to my Better Bottle, installed air lock, & placed on my basement floor with a fan blowing on it. Six hrs later it was at pitching temps. I hope this works; it saved water & allowed me to start clean up earlier, rather than stand there stirring.

Back