Beer gas in Philadelphia area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catamount

Reaction score
Hello
I bought a Guinness Faucet and a nitrogen regulator over a year ago but could never find beer gas to use em and just gave up. Well, I have decided to pursue this once again, so I was hoping that someone out here might have some information on where I could get a tank of beer gas so that I can finally get some use out of my Guinness faucet. I live in Philadelphia, so if anyone from the area has any information on where I can find beer gas, please let me know!!! thanks!

A few questions.

Why use beer gas and not just nitro?

Why not just use CO2 with your stout faucet?

And it was my impression that they dont have 'beer gas' for sale at most stores, you just go to an industrial gas supply place and tell them what you need it for and they fill with CO2 and nitro? I could be wrong on that one. But your faucet will work fine with CO2, and your beer will taste fine without CO2 in the nitro.

I was under the impression that a beer gas mixture (nitro co2) was needed/best for Guinness? So, if I can find it, Id like to use it. Dont all bars use a beer gas mixture for Guiness? If I use only nitrogen, wont my beer not stay carbonated?

I was under the impression that a beer gas mixture (nitro co2) was needed/best for Guinness? So, if I can find it, Id like to use it. Dont all bars use a beer gas mixture for Guiness? If I use only nitrogen, wont my beer not stay carbonated?

The place to go is a beer distributor or the LBS may know. Yes, there is special beer gas for Guinness and obviously available. I bet it is expensive.

I may ask my welding supply where I get my CO2. I am sure they have had requests.

My bad, I was unaware it was indeed a special gas.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer-edu/dispensing-beer-blended-gases-cid-1793.html

Places that have Guinness also get the mixed gas. I think it is 80/20 or 75/25 with N2 being the most. Read the article because it is quite interesting.

This is one reason I never went to Nitro beers. It is a costly investment just to get two or maybe three Nitro beers on tap. The only N2 beers I have had are the Stouts (Guinness and Murphy's) and Boddington Cream Ale.

I'll repost my response from the other thread here since this one seems to be getting more traffice.

There is a place in West Chester (which I know is quite a hike for you) that sells straight CO2, "beer gas" and nitrogen. It all costs $1 per pound if you have your own tank. Here is their ad from CL.

Cylinder...................$65.00
Cylinder + Fill...........$69.99
Cylinder Refill...........$5.00
10 Cylinders + Fill.....$650.00
(We are a specialty gas refill station Located in West Chester, PA, specializing in Co2, Nitrogen, Argon, and Helium, other gasses available by request.)

Sorry, No Credit Cards.
Cash or Check only,
Free Delivery for Bulk Orders.

ACS Food And Welding;
610-344-7997
10am-6pm, Mon-Fri

Back