Alaskan Summer Ale clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
Anyone have anything close to the Alaskan Summer Ale? I have a buddy that loves it, but can't get it on the east coast. I told him I'd look for a recipe...

I have made this 2 times. My wife loves it and it is a refreshing summertime beer. I guessed on the recipe based on Alaskan website. Mine comes out a little maltier, so you could reduce the munich if you want.

7.0 lb Pilsner, German
1.5 lb white wheat malt
1.0 lb munich - 10L
1.0 lb vienna
3 oz rice hulls
1.0 oz. Tettnang @ 75 min
1.0 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 25 min
Whirlfloc, PH 5.2
WLP-029 Kolsch yeast - 1200ml starter
Mash @ 150 for 75 min
75 min boil

1.052 to 1.011 5.3% ABV 22 IBU

Primary for 3 weeks @ 68 Secondary for 3 weeks below 40 if you can

Thanks gonzo.. How much would you recommend to reduce the munich? I've only brewed a few kits, so never had to modify a batch. Is this a full boil? 5gal batch?

You could reduce the munich to 1/2 lb if you want.
Yes this is an all grain full boil 5 gallon batch. If you are an extract brewer I am not sure what to should use. I'm sure you can steep the vienna and munich, I don't know about the wheat. The rest would have to be dme.

OK... I'm not set up for AG and don't know if I'm ready to start that yet.. thanks...

I don't think you can steep the vienna or munich, actually. I know you can find Munich LME around if you look....as for the vienna, well, I just don't know. I do know that the flavor contribution of those malts come from mashing, rather than steeping.

This is an ideal candidate for a partial Mash though. Take a look at Deathbrewer's excellent method.....once you realize you can do this I don't think you'll look back. you just need a couple of little extra things and and extra hour or two to brew....well worth it!

BTW: I grew up in Juneau and the big reason I am such a beer-geek, aside from the obvious fact that it makes you much cooler than the BMC lamo's :p, is the fact that I cut my teeth on Alaskan Brewing company beer, always stocked fresh in every liquour store in town, and as abundant as the aforementioned BMC. well, ok, I drank a lot of Rainier too....but it was the Alaskan Amber that hooked me on "good" beer.

Back