A little clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarhan

Reaction score
This topic has been discussed on several posts but I cant seem to find the exact questions I am looking for.

I brewed Edwort's apfelwein on 11/02/12 and im getting antsy. I took a reading and i am below 1, so good to go and very dry. I dropped it in the chamber to crash for a few days at 36. It came down from over .75 so its almost at 10%

SWMBO likes Angry orchard so I plan on sweetening it and carbing it up. She is also lactose intolerant so lactose is out. I have a keg set up and plan on using it.

Can I drop a can of frozen concentrate in for sweetness? I am a little gun shy on splenda or any of the likes due to strange taste sometime occurs.

Do I need to add campden or sorbate if its going to be in a keg at 40ish?
If I bottle some up and ship it will it bottle bomb as it heats up?
What would be the best course of action to sweeten and keg carb given all this?

Thanks folks!!:mug:

go with the concentrate! i have no problem just sweetening in the keg and leaving it cold. i usually use s05 yeast and it's pretty sleepy at fridge temps. if it is a tiny bit active, it's not quick enough, as the keg tends to go pretty quickly. but i guess that depends on what yeast you used.
i share your bottle bomb concerns, when i bottle from the keg, i know they are fine for a few days, as there is very little yeast in there, but if i'm going to keep them more than a couple days i simply pasteurize the bottles. this is far safer and easier than trying to pasteurize bottle-carbing bottles which can have an insane amount of pressure, yours will already be at a gentle equilibrium and there is no chance of explosions. i give them 20 minutes at 75 deg, and they are stable.

Latest posts

Back