Mr Malty questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I must be stupid because it isn't making sense to me. I am using washed yeast so I know to use the slurry settings BUT where do I set the slides for thick or thin and % NOT yeast? And if I am using a stir plate and making say a 1000 ml starter what difference does it make how much I start with? Also i thought it would tell me how much of a starter to make but it said I need almost a 4 liter starter for a 1.048 wort? Granted I am using year old yeast but if it is viable at all won't a few cells multiply to the proper volume for the size of the starter?

if your yeast has been sitting for a year then the mrmalty calculator is going to give you a very low viability. like 5% or something. that's why it gives you a number like 4 liters for only a 1.048 beer.

the real answer is that mrmalty isn't sufficient for your situation. you need to step up your starter from something small at first, to verify viability.

YeastCalc Yeast Calculator

that tool gives the same results as mrmalty, but is designed for multi step starters.

Back