Kegs for Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
This will PO some, and help some others. I care only about helping people, you others will have to thicken up that skin.

I went to the local big time party store- most variety, cheapest prices, and bought a 1/2 bbl. keg for lawnmower/pool/mass quantities use. I can't make it any cheaper.

The good stuff goes into the Sanyo, from my nearby local micro-brewer- and I can't make it cheaper than them either. I do want to start out doing AG, as I have done and will not continue to do, simple kits. I have a lot of wine experience from thirty years ago, and wanting to do my own brewing, want only to do AG or at least mostly-grain type brewing. 10 gallons. So I am starting all over acquiring the equipment.

That means keggles, to make it cheap, easy and handy. So there I am, in the store, paying my 10 bucks deposit for the 'mower beer, and I level with the guys that I want 2 empty 1/2 kegs for cutting up for brewing-not for scrap metaling. They tell me that the deposit is going up, and "yeah, no problem we'll sell you 1/2's for ten bucks, how many do you want?" They have my name and deposit for the one I bought full.

Now if that 20 extra bucks went into the store's pocket, their pocket, or what, I don't know, and I don't care. I was honest, straight-up with them about my goal and what I wanted them for, I paid what they charged me, and I've got my kegs for brewing.

So before you hand over the big bucks for plain kegs, maybe just try and see what your local conditions are- it don't cost nothing to ask.

Fair enough, thanks for disclosing.
I'm of the position that people should know about all sides of this issue and make up their own minds, so I'll post this link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Keggle#The_Ethical_Dilemma_of_Keg_Acquisition

I hope for your sake, that the guys that took your money are the same guys that clear the books with the distributor at the end of the quarter.

Did your receipt indicate that it was a sale of goods, or does it still say deposit?

As I said, the two extra 1/2's weren't on paper. The one I have in my shop frig is on the books, and it will stay on the books, as I will just be swapping a full one for an empty one, in the future. Or at least until I can do my own lager, ale-yeast pseudo lager, or maybe a light koelsh-style.:D

The counter kid got the manager, and the 50 year old manager said 'sure', and told the dolly kid to grab empty Budweisers. There were only two empties, one AB and one Bud. They are straight, clean, shiny and barely show dings. OH, and no paint rings. :D

Edit: Anybody that wants to ever tell me anything can PM me, if they do not want to take guff.

You already know you're using similar rationalization techniques that we all use when we aquire grey market kegs. It's the same as telling a car stereo thief that it's wrong to steal, you shouldn't do it, now how much do you want for it?

I'm not passing judgement on you, I have a grey market keg myself, but let's be honest here.

Back