Midas Touch Golden Elixir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moundbrewer

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for Midas Touch Golden Elixir brewed 9000 years ago.
I'm very curious about this brew.

From Extreme Brewing:

Midas Touch

Preboil 6 gallons water

Boil:
8 pounds Light Malt Extract (75 min)
2 pounds Clover Honey (75 min)
1/4 ounce Simcoe Hops (60 min)
10 Saffron threads (end of boil)

Fermentation:
White labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 ale yeast
1 quart White Muscat Grape juice concentrate (3 days)

Bottling:
5 ounces priming sugar

SG: 1.086
FG: 1.026
ABV: 9%
IBU's: 12

Hope this helps ya :)

NP Moundbrewer :)

After looking at the recipe in the book again last night, I'm thinking of brewing it now.

FSR402 said:
I have a bottle of this at home and can't wait to try it.. What do you all think of it?
Word of advice before you try it - DON'T expect it to be a beer like you're used to. It's really more of a beer/mead/wine hybrid beverage, and it seems to me that a fair number of people who don't like it seem to have judged it as a beer only, which isn't entirely fair. To each his own as far as liking it or not, but you'll likely do yourself a favor by knowing what you're getting so you're not shocked by it.

Personally, I love the stuff.

Sounds like it might be similar to Victory's Golden Monkey. I'm excited and think we might try some of this. Thanks!

DiscoFetus said:
Sounds like it might be similar to Victory's Golden Monkey. I'm excited and think we might try some of this. Thanks!

Very different IMHO....Golden Monkey is a spiced up belgian where as Midas Touch is a bit left field of what you think of as "beer" and more a hybrid as previously mentioned. YMMV.

brewt00l said:
Very different IMHO....Golden Monkey is a spiced up belgian where as Midas Touch is a bit left field of what you think of as "beer" and more a hybrid as previously mentioned. YMMV.

Good good. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the pesky monkey, but I can only take one. I've passed a few recipes onto a friend and I'm hoping to get some started soon.

To deviate from the recipe too much of course no longer makes it a clone, but then again it's such a weird brew to begin with, deviation is almost unavoidable :) Personally I love this beer, yet at the same time I agree with those who say they can only have one or two. I don't see anything wrong with that, it lets me try a variety of beers in an evening, which is pretty much how I roll anyway (the guy at the liquer store hates me, I always do the 'mix a six' thing and he has to scan each bottle individually.)

As far as a recipe is concerned, particuarlly with the saffron and the honey being very expencive ingredients, and seeing as how the finished product isn't something you'd chug, doing a small batch of this might be absolutely perfect. If I can find the ingredients, this is my next one gallon batch.

mike

I agree it is not much like beer although a Belgian style would be the closest. However I do enjoy it. I seldom drink more than or two beers at a time so having one of these is no problem.
I am planning a similar brew but decided I wanted a more mead/wine like beverage so I am upping the honey and using a red grape concentrate in my planned brew. I think it will be a very complex enjoyable beverage. :D

Craig

Back