maple porter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer#19

Reaction score
i have some questions regarding my maple porter i just racked from primary to secondary. first, let me say, i tasted the sample i pulled for the gravity reading and i like it very much, great taste, still has some ways to go, but it taste better at this stage than any other beer i've brewed. on to the questions.

og - 1.089 (temp. corrected from 1.086 @ 85 F)
cg - 1.035 (cg = current gravity as i just started secondary)

as a relative noob, i was reading on here about someones calculations for percent attenuation. could some one give me a brief explanation of what exactly that is and perhaps even show me the formula/let me know where i'm at with mine. i have an idea what is means, but not completely.

since this is a "big beer" in that its intended to finish out at 8.1% a/v, i have since learned and probably should have used a yeast starter, but i didn't (i will in the future), i just used a smack pack, i know hindsight is 20/20. my question is, i had plenty of build up on the rim/side of the bucket, but is that enough fermentation? i don't remember if i should have had something floating on top of the beer, my last batch was a cherry ale with 8.5 lbs of cherries in primary so i had all that at the top, maybe i'm just panicing because i don't have something on top as i did last time.

the recipe i used states final gravity should be at 1.028, i'm at 1.035 after 16 days in the primary. will another 20 days (apprx.) get me to 1.028 or do i need to do anything to help get me there?

finally, i may be asking stupid questions and maybe i should just sit back because the beer is fine, but at least i'll learn a little on the way.

thanks in advanced,

The formula is, using points (OG - FG)/OG So you are at 61%. Can't really make a call on how long the finish will take, is the gravity changing at all? You might consider adding a packet of dried yeast.

i'm assuming you mean just dump a packet into the secondary? or should i be hydrating it with a cup of water as i would if i were pitching it originally.

this is the first time i checked the gravity since my og reading so i don't know if its moving at all currently. i'll check it in a couple of days to see if i get any movement. again, this is the beer i got into homebrewing to do so i'm probably being a little overly sensitive to it all.

This sounds similar to when I racked my Winter Ale to the secondary. It was still a bit higher than expected, but the act of siphoning it caused yeast to resuspend and a slight fermentation continued dropping my gravity by another 6-8 points. I'd definitely take some readings over the next few days to see what's happening.

so a week later and i'm essentiall at the same mark. looking for any expert opinions please.

should i leave it as is, let it condition as planned and just bottle it ...

or...

should i add a packet of dry yeast and/or attempt something else to help "move it along?"

the recipe, was

1/2 lb. roasted
3/4 lb. crystal 50-60L
10 oz. chocolate
1/4 lb. black

6.6 lb. Light malt extract
2.0 lb. Light dry malt extract
16 oz. Maple syrup
add maple syurp, 2 min before the end of the boil

1.5 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)

british whitbread (make a yeast starter) * only did a smack pack, not a starter, and yes i know, i will be doing starters from know on.

recipe:
og - 1.078
fg - 1.016

my readings
og - 1.089
fg - 1.033

i know which way i'm leaning, but i want to see what is recommended here first.

Back