Crystal clear wine went cloudy after campden?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffy100

Reaction score
I had a crystal clear batch of apple and feijoa wine that was completely ready for bottling. Last week I added 10 campden tablets, it is a 45litre batch. The wine went cloudy immediately. It is a week on and there is no sign of it clearing. I decided to bottle it today and hope for the best as I wasn't happy with the air space above the wine after racking. Now I'm doubting I've done the right thing?!

taffy100 said:
I had a crystal clear batch of apple and feijoa wine that was completely ready for bottling. Last week I added 10 campden tablets, it is a 45litre batch. The wine went cloudy immediately. It is a week on and there is no sign of it clearing. I decided to bottle it today and hope for the best as I wasn't happy with the air space above the wine after racking. Now I'm doubting I've done the right thing?!

Old batch of tablets? I'd let it sit, see if it clears.

If it isn't sitting with head space for more than a couple of weeks, you are ok. If it's going to sit a while, add some like wine to top up.

Thanks for the reply Novalou. It was a brand new pack of campden, but because I have bottled it I've lost the option for letting it sit unfortunately. Hindsight is a great thing! I can now see that the wine is dropping a fine sediment to the bottom of the the bottles. It tastes good though. So I'm thinking that as long as the wine is consumed within the next six months or so, it should be ok if a little cloudy in the glass?!

I'm new to wine making but am learning some pretty hard lessons with my first few batches!

Do you think that there would be a problem with drinking this wine? Many thanks.

taffy100 said:
Thanks for the reply Novalou. It was a brand new pack of campden, but because I have bottled it I've lost the option for letting it sit unfortunately. Hindsight is a great thing! I can now see that the wine is dropping a fine sediment to the bottom of the the bottles. It tastes good though. So I'm thinking that as long as the wine is consumed within the next six months or so, it should be ok if a little cloudy in the glass?!

I'm new to wine making but am learning some pretty hard lessons with my first few batches!

Do you think that there would be a problem with drinking this wine? Many thanks.

Nothing wrong with drinking cloudy wine. Enjoy!

I had the same thing with two 5 gal batch's of Skeeter. I racked them last week and added sorbate and c tabs clouded right up. I will wait it out and let it clear again before I rack or bottle it. Mike

Some campden products are well known for adding a fine white particle, this is why I use k-meta powder. Pmus, anytime you stabilize and/or backsweeten it is recommended that you wait about two weeks, rack of any sediment that dropped (dead yeast cells) and then bottle. But your wine need not be rushed to consumption, consider decantinf, etc.

Latest posts

Back