4 bottles and rest to Corney? How to prime bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
Okay, I much prefer kegging for it's simplicity and the elegance of pouring off my own tap at home, BUT...

I am making a few brews that I'd like to take samples of to two family members. I have plenty of bottles, and would like to do about 4 bottles (16oz) from each batch.

Would you prep with normal batch volume of sugar through a bottling bucket, bottle 4 then load the rest in the keg and still chill and force-carb (I have stone)?

Or would you try something else, like measuring out corn sugar for individual bottles, putting it into the bottle, filling, capping, then straight kegging the rest?

Any advice?

I'd load a growler for them, but the drives are 3 hours to one and 11 hours to the other, so I am not sure they brews would make the trip safely in a growler. Has anyone filled a growler and had it sit for 12 hours and then open it to satisfactory carbonation before?

with carbtabs (I assume Munton's) do they come with a guide on how many to use per bottle at various sizes or for various levels of carbonation?

yes the do.

do some testing, though - as I put the 'normal amount' in for some beers and let them sit for 2-3 months and they were very carbed.

well, that is an inexpensive solution to getting some bottles up to family on trips. I might over or under carb a bit here or there, but hopefully the end result would be palatable. Thanks!

That may work as well!

My brain wants to tell me that not being pressurized continually is bad, but experience of those using it seems to say otherwise.

standard "kit" priming (3/4 cup per 5 gallons) works out to about 2/3 tsp corn sugar per bottle. i like mine a little higher carbed and have had good results with up to 1 tsp per.

however, i'd go with bier muncher's method if i could. for the control over carb level, the sediment free bottles, and because you don't have to wait 2-3 weeks.

Sediment free bottles are a huge plus!

It's so nice to give bottles to friends and not have to go into some lengthy explanation of yeast. Now my only battle is to get them to drink it at the right temperature.

pldoolittle said:
Do yourself a favor. Keg it, carb it, bottle with a BMBF...

agreed... i have filled bottles from every beer i have kegged with this method, it works great and is simple once you get the process down.

I believe I will!
Boy does that make me feel relieved about being able to take some beer to family. Now I just have to remind myself to fill the bottles when the keg is ready and to store those where thirsty friends won't find them. ;) :cross:

would that carbonator lid fit on any kind of growler or glass bottles?

Back