Aroma hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone explain why hops are added for aroma at the end of the boil, then as soon as the wort is cooled (10-15 min.), the preferred method seems to be to leave the hops behind when transferring to the primary.

Is 10-15 min. during wort cool down enough time for the aroma compounds to be extracted from the hops? It seems weird to me to add hops, then strain them from the wort right away.

i dont know the scientific explaination but the aromas are boiled out quickly so if you boil the hops longer the aromas will actually boil away

Yes, it does seem strange. I think it was David_42 who explained it well. The jist of it was that the temperature at flame out (boiling) and then cooling is enough to extract the aroma and flavor that you desire from this hops addition. The longer times (over 20 minutes) extract the bitterness, and then the lessor times extract more flavor/aroma. That is why you often do the additions at 60 minutes, 15 minutes, 5 minutes, 0 minutes. You get different things from the different additions.

If you really want to maximize the flavor and aroma do like I do. Check my Fat Owl Pale Ale in my recipe pulldown and follow the hopping schedule.
My recipe is a slight variation of the commercial brew Sharks Tooth Pale Ale that was made from 94-98 somewhere in Ca.

Back