Straining wort after brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer4life

Reaction score
I want to get opinions on whether anyone has tried this or if it will work. I was thinking that since the wort is suppose to be aerated after the boil process when it's added to the carboy for fermentation, would it have a great affect or even make a difference if the wort was strained into the carboy. I feel that this would still aerate the wort and allow me to get all that I can without getting any trub in the fermenter.

Straining is a common practice. A lot of people use sanitized 5 gallon paint strainers from their local hardware store. I've strained and not strained, doesn't seem to affect taste in the end. If its a heavily hopped beer i'll usually strain.

I have a big kitchen strainer that fits across the bucket (although I usually need some help keeping it in place). It does a great job of straining. Once the hop particles start forming a layer it creates a natural filter to catch all those proteins and grain bits. I think it helps, at least making it easier to yeast wash, but I also don't think it's necessary.

I also use the strainer to aerate the wort. I dip the mesh about an inch into the wort and shake back and forth vigorously. Creates a huge foamy head of oxygen. I usually do that for about five minutes before pitching.

Straining seems to work really well to aerate the wort for me. I have a big white plastic funnel, and also a strainer with a fine mesh both bought from my LHBS. I put the funnel in my carboy, place the strainer over top and pour away. I used this method this past Monday and had fermentation beginning in about 6 hours after pitching the yeast in an amber ale. Plus straining gets rid of a lot of junk that would otherwise wind up in the bottom of my carboy.

bwirthlin said:
Straining seems to work really well to aerate the wort for me. I have a big white plastic funnel, and also a strainer with a fine mesh both bought from my LHBS. I put the funnel in my carboy, place the strainer over top and pour away. I used this method this past Monday and had fermentation beginning in about 6 hours after pitching the yeast in an amber ale. Plus straining gets rid of a lot of junk that would otherwise wind up in the bottom of my carboy.

I do this as well and it works great. I believe by removing the spent hops I may avoid off flavors. IMO.

I picked up a few mesh bags from my LHBS; I use them all the time when racking from the kettle to the primary and I'm always amazed at the tons of trub they pick up. Great aeration too

Thanks for the input everyone. I figured it would probably work but wanted to hear from those who have had experience with it. Great ideas for me to play around with!
Cheers~

About what I use. Was given to me by the guy that painted my house,

PaintStrainer.jpg

Back