Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
Who on the forum is using a conical fermenter for primary?
I picked up a temp controlled conical used, manufactured by MoreBeer.
I love this thing but have a heck of a time trying to rack off the yeast using the 1 1/2 inch drain on the bottom.
I was thinking of adding a port to the top to pressurize the conical with a few pounds to try and help push the yeast cake off the bottom. As it works today, I have to just open it up and try and poke it free from the bottom and it's not working...

How does yours work?

I don't have that conical, however if you drop some of the trub earlier on in the ferment less accumulates and makes it easier to drop later on. Pressurizing more than likely will send the stuff flying out the bottom.

Yes, that helps but the yeast gets so think at the bottom it just does not flow...

I guess I could open it several times during fermentation and drop it out as it settles instead of waiting till fermentation is complete...

Great threads thank you...
That yeast catcher on the bottom of the fermenter is the trick... leave the valve open and as long as the catcher is large enough to collect all the yeast and trub were good to go! My Conical has a Tri Clamp fitting so I am going to have to use some creativity to mount it to the catcher, but I love the idea...
thanks,

MSKBeerfan said:
Great threads thank you...
That yeast catcher on the bottom of the fermenter is the trick... leave the valve open and as long as the catcher is large enough to collect all the yeast and trub were good to go! My Conical has a Tri Clamp fitting so I am going to have to use some creativity to mount it to the catcher, but I love the idea...
thanks,

:)

I have a small conical (5G). Sometimes have similar issues with draining the trub, but with a little coaxing and/or "stepped" (rather than all at once) draining it works out.

I really like the idea that Spotted Dog brewing came up with.
I just took a look at lunch time at my fermenter and the distance between the cone and a cross brace in the stainless stand it sits on is not very far to allow for a quart sized yeast catcher, but I may be able to tilt it or use something wider... sounds like another Brew Project...

I really like the idea that Spotted Dog brewing came up with.
I just took a look at lunch time at my fermenter and the distance between the cone and a cross brace in the stainless stand it sits on is not very far to allow for a quart sized yeast catcher, but I may be able to tilt it or use something wider... sounds like another Brew Project...

Yes, great and simple idea. As you say...another brew project!

Sorry this is where I usually land on the forum, due to my set up... it should be moved perhaps to Equipment...

IMGP0737.jpg

Latest posts

Back