A Hop Growing what would YOU do.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2nd year Cascade. In it's first year it was the most vigorous planting and actually provided a harvest of flowers but, it only shot up a few bines the first year.

This year, it had sprouted a few bines and (like an idiot) I clipped the new growth off to favor hardier growth. This plant had originally been in a container in the ground, which forced all growth downward. At x-fer I noticed that there were several hardy ne rhisomes that had been grown but, again, they were all forced downward. Despite seeing this when I transferred I simply placed the plant in it's new location and moved on.

Now, after having some time to think on it I am considering digging it back up to re-arrange the rhisomes to be closer to the surface where they should be.

What, my fellow hop growers would you do?

Would you;

- Leave it alone and let nature do as she will?

- Dig it up and help a hop out?

- Wait a week or two to see if new shoots arise and if not, proceed with option 2?

Honestly, I am inclined to dig it up and spread the rhisomes out but know that that plus the transplant could cause some stress.

I say leave it and let it take care of itself. You've already moved it once. Why put anymore undue stress on it. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I know me...I'd probably dig it up (real gently) and fix it. That's just me and I'm a 1st year grower but if the thought came into my head it would drive me crazy till I fixed the prob. ( I would hate the fact that I didn't do anything and missed out on another harvest ). The more experienced say leave alone...so ???

USE THE FORCE!

Kug

They are pretty hardy.
I split off and transplanted a few rhizomes last fall, and they are starting to sprout now.

Back