dry hopping in kegs - easy way to hold hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slakwhere

Reaction score
so i needed to hop in a corny as secondary, but i didn't want the bag to clog the dip tube. I took the air in dip tube (the short one) and drilled a hole at the bottom of it. re-assemble as normal, then take a small piece of stainless steel wire (safety wire for you mechanics) and put it through the hole and the hop bag. now i can pull the bag out in a couple days (or near the end of the keg) and not worry about clogging the keg. :)

realistically what i'm going to do is dry hop for 5 days and then transfer through my plate filter to the "finished" keg, but it should work the same for any dry hop needs in your "finished" keg. :)

Unless its alot of hops. Use one of those stainless tea balls from walmart

I know people use those with no problems but i have 6 'stainless' tea balls from wall-hell that the hinge pins all rusted in a 10min star San dip. Put it in water and they leach a rusty iron flavor.

Muslin bag of leaf hop thrown in hasn't clogged a keg yet.

I never have had a clogged diptube. I throw pellet hops in a tightly woven ("fine weave") hops bag and leaf hops go into tea strainers or hops bags, or even mesh bags. I don't tie them to anything.

Well i guess i was worried for nothing. No harm in long term hops in a leg? Months?

No, but if I was going to dryhop more than a week in the keg, I'd keep it at fridge temps. It seems like it takes a lot longer to extract the hops aroma at cold temperatures, but it also seems like you don't get grassy or other flavors either at fridge temps.

I put a hose clamp on the poppet boss on the bottom of the lid with a hook behind it. I hang the hop bag from the hook and it can be removed easily.

I put the hops in a nylon 'hop bag' and simply drop it into the keg right before the keg goes into the fridge to chill and carbonate (for two weeks) before going onto a faucet. Great hop flavors, aromas, and no transferring needed (at all). I also have no need to secure the hop bag to anything, since it easily contains all the hops. I do use whole hops for this, but I'm sure it would work just as well for pellets (sounds like that's what Yooper does).

Latest posts

Back