Single Hop 888 Experiment...input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyJed

Reaction score
I want to do some sampling of different hops so I am planning a base IPA and will then brew the base with various hops. It will be an extract w/ steeping grains recipe with a full boil.

8 lbs. Light LME
8 oz. Crystal 40
8 oz. Cara-Pils
Safale US-05 yeast

Estimate OG- 1.062
Estimate FG- 1.015

Planning to use Amarillo for the first batch. Also would like to try Centennial and perhaps Summit. Who knows after that. I am aiming for an IBU of about 60-65 and will adjust the schedule depending on the hop. The plan for Amarillo is-

1 oz @ 60
2 oz continuous 15-0 min.
1 oz dry hop in secondary

Thoughts?

I like it, post back results. I have thought about doing something similar to this as well. My last experiment was to split a batch of IPA between 3 batches, one with nottingham, one with us-05 and one with s-33.

Should be carbed up next weekend to do some side-by side tests.

I have been experimenting with this as well and all I can say is, it's alot of fun. My favorite bittering additions are columbus and simcoe and for flavor and aroma I like simcoe and centennial. In the dry hop I am now combining 10z. each of simco, columbus and cenn. and doing 3 hop additions of 3 oz. evey 3 days (total of 9 oz. over 9 days) I have had very good results! Keep us posted with what you come up with.

Eastside

Back