Looking to brew all Grain for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayviewBrewer

Reaction score
Okay so I am looking to go all grain for the first time. I have just finished readinf how to brew and the complete joy of home brewing. But here my problem I am not sure where to start. I want to brew a hot pepper and honey wheat beer. But my problem is I am not sure which peppers or how much honey I should used. I don't I want the heat from of the peppers to be overwhelming. I could really use some suggestions on this. Issue from folks who have brewed with hot peppers in the Past . Thank you for all suggestions and tips.

My suggestion; start with something simple. You don't want to haze your brew day worrying about honey or peppers. All grain takes more attention to detail and focus, especially if its your first time. Start with a pale ale, IPA, stout, brown ale, etc. It doesn't sound flashy, but it will help you get your process down.

If you want to tweak something with flavors make a 1-2 gallon extract batch and test a variety of additions. Would be a shame to mess up what could have been a fine beer with flavor additions. Cheers!

I second keeping things simple the first time out. Starting with a simple SMaSH (single malt, single hop) beer just to get a feel for the process is a good way to get into things.

If you are dead set on a pepper beer, I have heard that red hot peppers are better for "dry-peppering" with than green ones like jalapenos. Green peppers are reported to give an unpleasant vegetal aroma. If you do a pepper beer, soak the peppers in vodka first overnight to kill any wild yeast and let it soak in secondary tasting daily for desired heat. For a honey wheat, you will probably get more honey flavor using around .5lb of honey malt than actual honey. My Honey Porter used about 1.5lb of honey at flame out and there is barely any honey aroma or flavor.

BrewinHooligan said:
I second keeping things simple the first time out. Starting with a simple SMaSH (single malt, single hop) beer just to get a feel for the process is a good way to get into things.

If you are dead set on a pepper beer, I have heard that red hot peppers are better for "dry-peppering" with than green ones like jalapenos. Green peppers are reported to give an unpleasant vegetal aroma. If you do a pepper beer, soak the peppers in vodka first overnight to kill any wild yeast and let it soak in secondary tasting daily for desired heat. For a honey wheat, you will probably get more honey flavor using around .5lb of honey malt than actual honey. My Honey Porter used about 1.5lb of honey at flame out and there is barely any honey aroma or flavor.

Definitely keep it simple. I brewed the Founders Breakfast Stout clone for my first all grain batch and it was definitely a challenge. Knowing what I know now, I'd go with a simple 2 grain recipe (like a pale ale). It just makes your brew day more enjoyable when you're still learning.

Thank you everybody for your input. The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to go with something simple like a pale ale or a porter.

Before you start you need to know that your pale ale will be quite drinkable in about 6 weeks but your porter needs double that to let the flavors meld and the beer mature. Don't judge the quality of your brew in too short of a time. You need to be aware that as the level of alcohol in the beer goes up it takes longer to mature and the same holds for the darkness of the beer.

Back