alternative to turbid mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
Can one just do an infusion mash at say 160-165*F to get a starchy mash instead of doing a turbid mash? I know the turbid mash is authentic way of making sours/lambics but will a high temp infusion mash yield a high starch unconverted wort suitable for sours? Or is a TM the only way?

Not sure about that, but I followed themadfermentationist's turbid mash schedule and worked well for me, not rally that much harder or more time. Check out his webpage/blog, tons and tons of great inof.

Ithaca made Brute with a low 160s F Sacch rest with good results. There were some other odd things about that recipe/procedure too. Most sours brewed in America don’t get the full turbid treatment, so you can make a great beer, but it may not be exactly the same as the result from a turbid mash.

I believe Russian River mashes at 160ish. I have been doing it for all my sours (outside of turbid mashing) . It knocks out most of the beta amylase but not the alpha. So you get good efficiency and a pretty unfermentable wort. I believe I got around 55% attenuation mashing at 162F and using a wy1335 as the primary strain.

Back