priming per bottle to bottling bucket conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crh1109

Reaction score
The instructions for my lhbs beer kit only gives per bottle priming info. I am wanting to use a priming bucket instead. Does anyone have quick conversion for the amount of priming sugar i should use for 6 gal of light american beer clone with a final gravity of 1.010?

FYI this is only my second time bottling, so I apologize for my ignorance

thank you guys for the quick replies. i did some site searching, and found some things as well. next question, does the concentration of the priming solution matter? how do you all prepare your priming solution?

Generally it's done with 1 to 2 cups of water and the priming sugar.

I boil the water, add the sugar, boil a bit longer, let cool down some, then start racking the beer into the bottling bucket and add in the priming solution. Some don't recommend stirring, but I did a very gentle stir (enough to move the beer but not enough to make it whirlpool, etc.) on my last batch and I think it worked great.

thanks for the info who.

revvy, i knew someone would say that, and i began to look at that STICKY, but it isn't indexed, and the thought of searching through 51 pages isnt very appealing. but thanks for the suggestion. i know some of you people who have been around a while get tired of answering questions, but the "go find it yourself" attitude is a big turn off for newbies who are here to ASK QUESTIONS. isn't that the point of a forum? discussion? i always find it funny that in the time it takes to type a "go find it yourself" comment, most people could have written a legitimate answer, so why waste your oh so precious time? if i wanted to go find it myself, i would go buy a book. but again, thanks...for nothing.

I suggest you consult our BOTTLING STICKY at the very top of this section of the forum (where all the most important, and most often asked) information can be found.

All the info you could ever want answered about bottling is right there at your fingertips......

Great Sticky Revvy...used it to bottle this morning! :rockin:

thanks for the info who.

revvy, i knew someone would say that, and i began to look at that STICKY, but it isn't indexed, and the thought of searching through 51 pages isnt very appealing. but thanks for the suggestion. i know some of you people who have been around a while get tired of answering questions, but the "go find it yourself" attitude is a big turn off for newbies who are here to ASK QUESTIONS. isn't that the point of a forum? discussion? i always find it funny that in the time it takes to type a "go find it yourself" comment, most people could have written a legitimate answer, so why waste your oh so precious time? if i wanted to go find it myself, i would go buy a book. but again, thanks...for nothing.

Don't people know how to SKIM anymore? So basically you're saying that you're too lazy to do some digging, and you want us to spoon feed you. So much so that you ACTUALLY get pissed off that we put up a sticky to help folks like you starting out. That's "NOTHING" to you, that some of us actually spend hours and hours trying to put together good, accurate and helpful information, for folks like you, and we have audacity to point you to it?

geez :rolleyes:

Priming calculators seem to work the best. Using the whole "5 oz corn sugar per batch" thing to prime means just about everything is over-carbonated. Even if you're bottling a full 5 gallons (which means you'd need more than 5 gallons in the fermenter- you'll lose some to the yeast guaranteed). If your beer is fermenting cold and being bottled cold, it'll retain additional C02 and you can end up overcarbonated. Basically 1 oz/gallon is really over-carbonated for almost every style (exceptions being some of your Belgians and wheat beers). The issue I get is that mixing the priming sugar first requires an assumption of how much you'll lose to the yeast cake. And I find that hard to predict. I've lost anywhere from .75 gallons to .25 gallons due to yeast. So I usually guesstimate the loss, err on the side of caution and shoot for lower carbonation, and use a calculator to figure the exact amount. It usually ends up in the neighborhood of about 2.5-3.5 oz of corn sugar.

Revvy is right on cue... All my brews have different amount of priming depending on style and on gravity reading... Your best bet is to invest in a simple beer program and enter everything you used for the brew as a recipe and it will most likely calculate your priming amount.. Follow it and you will have great carbonation and a really nice head ..

Cheers

great contribution to the thread, worm.

rumphf, thank you for the answer and info, i will search for a priming calc

thanks big cat, i will definitely look into a beer program, but there wouldnt be much i could enter for ingredients for this recipe since it is just lme from a can and a crap load of sugar.

great contribution to the thread, worm.

Sorry did not mean to offend you. Just giving Revvy props because I was in the same boat as you this morning and used the thread, got done bottling, and seen he posted so I was just thanking him...did not mean to jack you're thread sir. GL with you're beer. :mug:

Thanks, I was in a no nonsense mood this a.m., but thanks to the help on the forum, I got beer in bottles. In my first ever batch of beer, I over primed and every single beer spewed foam when they were opened, so I didnt want to waste a bunch of time again.

thanks big cat, i will definitely look into a beer program, but there wouldnt be much i could enter for ingredients for this recipe since it is just lme from a can and a crap load of sugar.

Oh believe me once you enter your LME,sugar and yeast the program breaks it down by sugars used and gravity to determine primer ..

If for any reason you can't afford the program right now simply enter all ingredients with amounts used including yeast and anything else used and we (me or anyone here wil enter it on their beersmith and give you the numbers of what you may need...Most homebrewers are very meticulous and truly are here to help

The average ratio for priming sugar for when NOT carbing to style is always 1 oz corn sugar/gallon of beer.

Yeah. I've used the full measure of 5oz corn sugar provided with the 5 gal extract kits I've brewed. Never had any problems with bottle bombs, eruptions, beer too foamy, etc. All good so far. :rockin:

I may try carb-to-style on a maibock kit I got for Christmas, but that looks to be not too much below 1oz/gal anyway.

Yeah. I've used the full measure of 5oz corn sugar provided with the 5 gal extract kits I've brewed. Never had any problems with bottle bombs, eruptions, beer too foamy, etc. All good so far. :rockin:

I may try carb-to-style on a maibock kit I got for Christmas, but that looks to be not too much below 1oz/gal anyway.

You are correct, with your Maibock you may just use up the full 1oz per gallon... Per my priming calculator for a Bock at 70* with a 2.5 CO2 a 5 gallon batch would take 4.5 oz of corn sugar but as high as 6 oz of DME

You are correct, with your Maibock you may just use up the full 1oz per gallon... Per my priming calculator for a Bock at 70* with a 2.5 CO2 a 5 gallon batch would take 4.5 oz of corn sugar but as high as 6 oz of DME

Here's a question. I've never done a proper lager, so honestly I have no idea- are you letting it warm all the way back up to 70 after lagering? Or are you bottling while it's still relatively cold? Cause that'd make a huge difference in the amount needed.

I would adjust to temperature, but for sake of discussion I just assumed 68F when I looked at the amounts.

Here's a question. I've never done a proper lager, so honestly I have no idea- are you letting it warm all the way back up to 70 after lagering? Or are you bottling while it's still relatively cold? Cause that'd make a huge difference in the amount needed.

Sorry it was a typo..I meant 50*... its the reading from beersmith

Latest posts

Back